You interact with your OT-2 through the Opentrons App, the friendly application that you run on your computer. However, behind the scenes, there is also the Robot Operating System, which runs on the OT-2 itself.
We're always working to improve the software you use to control your OT-2. Both the Opentrons App and Robot Operating system should be kept up to date to ensure that you always have the latest features and bug fixes available. This guide will show you how.
Updating the Opentrons App
The Opentrons App can update itself. It will automatically check for available updates when it is opened, and periodically thereafter.
1. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet.
2. Open the Opentrons App and select More on the left-side navigation menu.
- If an update is available, there will be an orange alert dot on the More button.
3. Check the Information card under the App section.
- If no update is available, the card will say “Up to date."
- If an update is available and you haven’t previously dismissed it, information about the available update will pop-up automatically.
- If you have previously dismissed the update and it didn’t pop-up automatically, select View available update.
4. Click Download to download the update.
- If you do not want to update at this time, select Not now and the app will not prompt you until you quit and reopen.
5. When it has finished downloading, click Restart App to apply the update.
Updating your OT-2's Robot Operating System
First, complete the steps above to ensure that your Opentrons App is up to date. Robot Operating System updates are bundled with Opentrons App updates.
Once you are sure that your app is up to date, you’re ready to update your OT-2's Robot Operating System.
1. Under Robots, find your OT-2 and connect to it.
2. Check the Information card:
- If no update is available, the card will say “Updated."
- If an update is available and you haven’t previously dismissed it, information about the available update will pop up automatically.
- If you have previously dismissed the update, click Upgrade to open the dialog with information about the available update.
3. Review the update details, then click Update on the pop-up to send the update to the robot.
4. Once the update has been uploaded, click Restart to restart the robot and apply the update.
5. Your robot may disappear from the robot list for up to a few minutes as it restarts. Once you notice the robot finish rebooting (the pipettes will home their motors), click Refresh if it does not reappear in the list right away.
Advanced: receiving beta updates
If you would like, you can opt-in to beta releases of our software. Beta releases get newer features more quickly than stable releases, but they are less fully tested than stable releases. We will never knowingly push bugs to a beta release, but bugs may still be present.
To opt into beta releases:
- Go to More > App > Advanced Settings.
- Under Update Channel, select Beta.
- If there is an available beta update, the app will prompt you with release information about the update, and you should follow the same update instructions as above.
- Remember to update your robot to the new beta software once the app has finished updating!
If at any point you would like opt-out of beta updates, switch the selector back to “Stable”. The app will automatically prompt you to apply the most recent stable release. As with any update, please remember to update your robot after you’ve finished updating your app.
As always, if you have questions about this process or encounter issues, feel free to reach out to us via the chat or email at email@example.com.