There are two important pieces of software that you need to keep up to date:
- The Opentrons App, the friendly application that you run on your computer. You use this to connect to your OT-2 and upload protocols.
- The Robot Operating System, which is always running behind the scenes on the OT-2 itself.
Keeping both up to date ensures you benefit from the latest features and bug fixes. This guide will show you how.
Updating the Opentrons App
The Opentrons App can update itself. It will automatically check for available updates when it is opened, and periodically while it is running.
1. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet.
2. Open the Opentrons App and select More on the left-side navigation menu.
- If an update is available, there will be an orange alert dot on the More button.
3. Check the Information card under the App section.
- If no update is available, the card will say “Up to date."
- If an update is available and you haven’t previously dismissed it, information about the available update will pop-up automatically.
- If you have previously dismissed the update and it didn’t pop-up automatically, select View available update.
4. Click Download to download the update.
- If you do not want to update at this time, select Not now and the app will not prompt you until you quit and reopen.
5. When it has finished downloading, click Restart App to apply the update.
Manual updates for unreliable Internet connections
The Opentrons App can only update itself when it is connected to the Internet. If your lab computer does not have an Internet connection, you can give it an updated copy of the App by downloading it ahead of time.
The latest release of the Opentrons App is always available on this page. Download it where you have an Internet connection, and copy it to some portable storage, like a flash drive.
Updating your OT-2's robot operating system
First, complete the steps above to ensure that your Opentrons App is up to date. Then:
1. Under Robots, find your OT-2 and connect to it.
2. Check the Information card to see what robot operating system version your OT-2 is currently running.
- If the robot operating system is at least as new as the Opentrons App, the card will say “Updated."
- If an update is available, click Upgrade to automatically download and install it to your OT-2.
- If the Upgrade button is grayed out, you may need to manually update your OT-2's robot operating system from a file. See below.
3. Once the update has been uploaded, click Restart to restart the robot and apply the update.
4. Your robot may disappear from the robot list for up to a few minutes as it restarts. Once you notice the robot finish rebooting (the pipettes will home their motors), click Refresh if it does not reappear in the list right away.
Updating from a file
- Download the latest Robot Operating System from this page. It will save as a file called ot2-system.zip.
- In the Opentrons App, scroll down to find Update robot software from file. Click Browse and select the ot2-system.zip that you just downloaded.
- Allow your OT-2 to restart to apply the update.
Advanced: receiving beta updates
If you would like, you can opt-in to beta releases of our software. Beta releases get newer features more quickly than stable releases, but they are less fully tested than stable releases. We will never knowingly push bugs to a beta release, but bugs may still be present.
To opt into beta releases:
- Go to More > App > Advanced Settings.
- Under Update Channel, select Beta.
- If there is an available beta update, the app will prompt you with release information about the update, and you should follow the same update instructions as above.
- Remember to update your robot to the new beta software once the app has finished updating!
If at any point you would like opt-out of beta updates, switch the selector back to “Stable”. The app will automatically prompt you to apply the most recent stable release. As with any update, please remember to update your robot after you’ve finished updating your app.
As always, if you have questions about this process or encounter issues, feel free to reach out to us via the chat or email at email@example.com.