There are essentially two options for protocol writing on the OT-2:
- Protocol Designer ➡️ basic workflows, no coding required
- Python API ➡️ unlimited control and customization, Python proficiency+ required
We recommend using Protocol Designer if it meets your workflow needs. If you want or need to use the Python API for writing protocols, you have a few options:
- If you are proficient at coding in Python, you can use our Python API to develop your own protocol.
- You can download (& modify) protocols from the Protocol Library.
- You can submit a custom protocol request to us here: Opentrons Custom Protocol Development Request Survey
Note: Custom protocol development currently takes ~4 weeks. For instructions on requirements/formatting for a custom protocol, please follow these guidelines.
If you are unsure which option is right for you, please reach out to Opentrons Support.