Your OT-2 has two pipette mounts, each of which can hold one Opentrons single-channel or multi-channel pipette. Changing pipettes is easy.
What you'll need
- 2.5 mm screwdriver
- In the Robots list, select your OT-2, and then select Pipettes & modules under it.
- Select Attach or Change to attach, replace, or detach a pipette from a mount.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. The Opentrons App will guide you through detaching the old pipette and attaching the new one.
Screwing in or unscrewing the three pipette screws
Three 2.5 mm hex screws secure the pipette to its mount. The top two screws are captive, while the bottom screw comes out fully.
If you lose the bottom screw, spares were shipped with your OT-2.
When screwed in, all three screws should feel firm. If it feels like a screw is spinning freely, it is misaligned. Loosen the other screws and wiggle the pipette until the screw inserts correctly.
Connecting or disconnecting the white connector tab
Each pipette communicates with the OT-2 through a white ribbon cable. The connector is marked by a short white tab on the side of the pipette mount. Press it in towards the pipette to connect it.
Ensuring proper alignment when attaching multi-channel pipettes
Multi-channel pipettes are especially sensitive to misalignment. When you attach a multi-channel pipette, it helps to double-check the alignment before trying to run a protocol.
- After screwing in the multi-channel pipette, use your hand to gently and slowly pull it down to the deck.
- Check to see if all of the nozzles touch the deck at the same time.
- If the pipette appears tilted, loosen the screws, correct the tilt, and re-tighten the screws.
- Continue with the rest of pipette setup as normal, following the instructions on the screen.
A tilt with a difference of less than 0.15 mm between ends is acceptable. 0.15 mm is somewhere between the thickness of one and two sheets of typical printer paper.
If you are unable to correct the tilt, the pipette mount itself may need to be realigned. Contact Opentrons Support for assistance.
Troubleshooting pipette connection problems
If you see a message like this, your OT-2 is having trouble communicating with the pipette you just attached.
Try the following basic troubleshooting steps:
- Unplug the white connector tab from the pipette and re-insert it, ensuring that it is plugged in securely.
- Try the same pipette in the other mount.
- Try a different pipette in the same mount.
If, after you try the above steps, your pipette still can't be connected, it might be defective. Contact Opentrons Support for assistance.