Your OT-2 has two pipette mounts, each of which can hold one Opentrons single-channel or multi-channel pipette.
What you'll need
- 2.5mm screwdriver
Attaching a pipette
Selecting the mount and pipette
- In the Robot tab, select your OT-2, and then select Pipettes & modules under it.
- Pick the mount on which you'd like to attach your pipette, and select Attach.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. The Opentrons App will guide you through detaching the old pipette and attaching the new one.
Screwing in the 3 pipette screws
Three 2.5 mm hex screws secure the pipette to its mount. The top two screws are captive to the pipette mount, while the bottom screw must be inserted separately.
Several bottom screws came with your OT-2, packed in a small bag.
When screwed in, all three screws should feel firm. If it feels like a screw is spinning freely, it is misaligned. Loosen the other screws and wiggle the pipette until the screw inserts correctly.
Extra steps for attaching multi-channel pipettes
Multi-channel pipettes are especially sensitive to tilt. When attaching them, some extra care is needed to make sure they are perfectly straight.
When attaching a multi-channel pipette:
- Leave the 3 screws slightly loose.
- Use your hand to gently and slowly pull the multi-channel pipette all the way down to the OT-2's deck.
- Wiggle the pipette so that all 8 of its nozzles touch the deck at the same time.
- While holding the pipette down, tighten the 3 screws.
A tilt with a difference of less than 0.15 mm between ends is acceptable. (0.15 mm is somewhere between one and two sheets of typical printer paper.)
If you are unable to correct the tilt, contact Opentrons Support for assistance.
Connecting the pipette cable
Push the connector marked by a white tab into the pipette.
In the Opentrons App, click Have robot check connection. You should get a green check mark.