These troubleshooting steps will help you in the case that you've been experiencing any of the following issues:
- Tips unexpectedly dropping
- Pipette not aspirating properly
- Uneven aspiration across channels of a multichannel
Step 1: Make sure multi-channel pipettes are mounted level
Multi-channel pipettes are especially sensitive to tilt. When attaching them, some extra care is needed to make sure they are perfectly straight.
Step 2: Ensure there is no issue with the pipette
The first step to take is to ensure there is no issue internally with the pipette. To do this, take the following steps.
- Upload a protocol that simply picks up tips and transfers a liquid
- Pause the protocol directly after tip pick up
- Use your hands to firmly secure the tip onto the pipette stem (do this for each stem if using a multichannel)
- Resume the run
- If this solves the problem, move onto the next step. If the issue persists, contact support with details of the issues and the steps you've taken.
Step 3: Increase Pick Up Current
By adjusting the Pick Up Current under the Power/Force section in the pipette settings you can increase the force applied when the pipette picks up tips. The default current is 0.5 amps - the best method is to test in increments of 0.1 until you find a current that works more reliably. This works best in unison with the method above.
**NOTE** the max current that should be applied is 1.2 amps and the pipette lifetime has only been tested with the default current
Please contact Opentrons Support if further assistance is required.