You will need a computer running the Opentrons App in order to control your OT-2 robot. Our app runs on Windows 10, macOS, and Linux. Please see Supported Operating Systems for more details about OS support.
To install, follow the OS specific instructions below.
When you click the Mac button on the Opentrons App download page, your browser will download a DMG (disk image) file with the latest version of the software. To install the app:
- Click the Mac download button on the download page.
- Open the downloaded file named Opentrons-...dmg in your Downloads folder. The disk image will mount and a new window will open.
- In the new window, drag the Opentrons.app file into the Applications folder.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Double-click the Opentrons app to run it. Click Open or Allow on any security or firewall prompts to ensure the Opentrons App is able to run and communicate with your OT-2.
When you click the Windows button on the download page, your browser will download an installer for the latest version of the Opentrons App. To install the app:
- Click the Windows download button on the download page.
- Click Run in your browser, or click Save and then double-click the downloaded file named Opentrons-...exe in your Downloads folder.
- Follow the prompts in the install wizard to install the app for just your user or for all users of the computer (administrator permission required).
- The app will launch automatically once the install wizard is finished.
- Click Open or Allow on any security and/or firewall prompts to ensure the Opentrons App is able to run and communicate with your OT-2.
The Opentrons App for Linux is distributed as an AppImage package. That means you can simply download the Opentrons App and run it, without worrying about apt-get or other package managers.
The following instructions are specifically for Ubuntu 18.04, but should be broadly similar for all Linux distributions.
- Click the Linux button on the download page and then click Save.
- Move the downloaded AppImage file from your Downloads folder to a place you'll remember, such as your desktop or an Applications folder.
- Right click the downloaded AppImage file and select Properties. A new window will open.
- Under the Permissions tab, check Allow executing file as program.
- Double-click the AppImage file to run the app.
Third-party launchers not supported
Third-party AppImage launchers, such as AppImageLauncher, are known to interfere with the Opentrons App's self-update functionality. We recommend not using them.