Whenever you upload a protocol, the Opentrons App will prompt you to calibrate your pipettes and labware before running it. However, to save time, you can often skip calibration.
Skipping pipette calibration
When is it safe to skip pipette calibration?
You can safely skip pipette calibration if:
- You've calibrated those pipettes at least once before.
- And, you haven't changed or reattached any pipettes since your last pipette calibration.
- And, you haven't redone deck calibration since your last pipette calibration.
- And, your protocol uses the same tips as your last pipette calibration.
Otherwise, the pipettes' positions will be off when moving to labware.
How do I skip pipette calibration?
To skip to labware calibration, when you're on the Calibrate page, select the name of a tip rack.
Or, to skip all the way to running the protocol, select the Run tab from the left sidebar. But check the next section for when it's okay to skip labware calibration.
What happens if I skip pipette calibration?
Your OT-2 will fall back to the last completed pipette calibration.
If no pipette calibration has ever been done with that pipette on that mount, or if pipette calibration has been factory reset, it will fall back to a theoretical offset based on ideal hardware.
Skipping labware calibration
When is it safe to skip labware calibration?
When opening a protocol, you can see in the Opentrons App if there is existing calibration data for your labware on the Overview screen.
If there's calibration data for all of the labware in your protocol, you can safely skip labware calibration if:
- You haven't done deck calibration since the last time you calibrated that labware.
- And, you haven't done pipette calibration since the last time you calibrated that labware.
- And, you're unconcerned with positional variation due to manual handling of the labware or due to the labware's manufacturing tolerances.
Otherwise, the pipettes' positions may be off when moving to labware.
How do I skip labware calibration?
To go to running the protocol, select the Run tab in the left sidebar.
What happens if I skip labware calibration?
For each labware, your OT-2 will use the adjustment from the last time that labware was calibrated. You can see this data displayed in the App. This will happen even if the last time was for a different protocol, or had the labware in a different slot.
If a labware has never been calibrated before, or if labware calibration has been factory reset, your OT-2 will assume the labware perfectly matches its definition.